Monday, February 1, 2010

Winter Reflection

After the stillness of the snow, I took me
to a slough suspended and congealed
by the cold. And the bright ice
cast a blinding light on my wash-
room mirror-- as in the early hours
(when one claims the darkness
and dares wish deafness too).

Half-seasoned to the sun, I took me
to the edge, thick-laced, where I
met my gaze and reflected how
far I dared to go.

One foot upon the glass, I cast the other
forward and again, until I passed the fear and
fell hands down upon my wash-room mirror.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmh. I think "slough congealed/ by the cold." is a lot more phonically appealing than "slough suspended and congealed/ by the cold," despite the extra consonance.
    I'm going to need a few more readings before this poem is coherent to me, which is probably a good thing . . .

    ReplyDelete