Friday, May 14, 2010

The Time has Come to Speak


What an unconventional and bewildering Friday night I've had. Not only is there an absence of laughter, background movie noises, and any number of sounds associated with college weekends, the only sounds that I can hear at all are the clacking keys I'm typing on, the cicada's chirruping outside, and the whir of the ceiling fan above me. My dad took my brother and sister out, and my mom celebrated a night at home by hitting the hay around nine thirty. Therefore, I am having a night of "me-time". I think I should be enjoying it more than I am. I've become so accustomed to company...Not dependence, but company. I like being alone. But there are times when you just know a night is better shared. This just happens to be one of those.

In my effort to occupy myself with something other than housework that didn't need to be done (my next option), I discovered something very lovely.

Simone White has a few very good new songs. I dare say they surpass her previous ones. She breaks past the efforted indie category that she fit so well into in her last album, I am the Man, and enters gracefully into that of folk singer-songwriter. Let me say, she has been a very talented song writer all along. However, these few new songs that I've happened across bring her into a new light as a sort of delineating narrator...in a non linear sense. I'm not sure that makes sense at all. I think what I'm trying to say, is that she has created a story-like kind of life in these songs, (let's use "Victoria Anne" as an example), by providing a sort of patched at plot line, which doesn't need to be fully delineated to provide a detailed account of what she is getting at. She bears it all in under three minutes.

If I had to say, I think she fits into place right next to the likes of Antje Duvekot.

Because I am doing such a poor job of this musical explication and critique, I recommend that you don't take my word, but listen for yourself. http://www.myspace.com/simonewhite I promise you, it is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment