Wednesday, March 17, 2010

On Simple Pleasures


1. Socks...
are absolutely one of the most comforting things in the world when it's gray...especially right from the dryer. Are not comfortable to sleep in. (When sleeping, bare feet are definitely the way to go.)
My socks are often mismatched, to my satisfaction. Also, they are the one thing that I am aching to learn to knit. Handmade socks. Yeah.

2. Moss...
is growing thickly beneath the lip of the sidewalk, with little hairlike spores! Moss and ferns are my favorite plants. Then artichokes...and asparagus. I like green.

3. Chill Bumps...
are such intriguing mechanisms for coping with the cold. Also, though beautiful in their own way, are not desired at the present. I would very much appreciate a warm day and sun on my arms...and nose.

4. The Untuned Piano...
in our dining room is disconcerting...unless you're banging on it just for the sake of a ruckus. Then, its wonderful. It was last purchased for $80. It can now be purchased for nothing by anyone who will just take it. Also, it is the desired piano for dueling piano's, as opposed to the one which is tuned, sitting less than ten feet away, in the foyer.

5. Spring Break...
should be permanent, or extended.

6. Boxwood...
is apparently a very appealing home to cottonpatch rabbits. I've run one out of one near my front porch, much to my distress (and it's I'm sure), twice since I've gotten home.

7. Folk Music...
is my favorite. Favorite, for sure.

8. "Thirteen"...
is how old my sister will be on Sunday. Also, the title of a wonderful Ben Kweller song.

9. Dizziness...
is a simple pleasure. Once, in a letter that my friend, Mark, sent me, he quoted me as having said to him, "The beauty there is in making oneself dizzy is too great for words." Therefore, I suppose I shouldn't try to explain.

10. Wood Stain...
smells divine. I'm sure I've lost a few brains cells from lingering a little too near it.

11. Where I am...
is right nice. Which, seeing as I have no idea where I will soon be, is interesting. Here's to contentment.

1 comment: