Saturday, March 27, 2010

Something to Hold Onto

1. The Wailin' Jennys...


are a musical trio from midwestern Canada. Hannah Moody, Nicky Mehta, and Heather Masse work together to harmonize and produce songs that are soft and inviting, but strong enough to hold the listener's attention. The sound is folksy and real and the songs carry themes that reinforce the genre. Many of their songs ask questions and recollect loss and the nostalgia of happy times, but are not overwhelming and sentimental. They present the lyrics as factual deptictions of situations. In that, I mean that the situations, while not ideal are believable.

2. The BFG...


by Roald Dahl makes me feel like I'm back in fourth grade...in the best way. My friend, Charlie, has a wonderfully unique giant voice in which she reads aloud the adventures of the Big Friendly Giant and the little girl that he steals, Sophie. I love sitting back in the grass and hearing all about whizzpopping and frobscottle, the Fleshlumpeater, and dreamcatching. I can't wait to hear the conclusion of their adventures. Also, the illustrations by Quentin Blake, are, as always, fanciful, imaginative, and humorous.






3.The Philosopher's Pie...

from Mellow Mushroom is one of the best things that I have ever eaten, and certianly the best pizza that I've ever had. My roommate and I downed an entire 14 inch pizza in twenty minutes...maybe less. I never eat more than two pieces of pizza...it was that good. The crust was the perfect consistency between crunchy and soft, and was topped with mozarella, olives, steak, artichoke, feta, and portabella mushrooms. It was, as the BFG might say, scrumdiddlyumptious.


4. Slaughterhouse Five...


by Kurt Vonnegut, I finished reading yesterday. I appreciated Vonnegut's style throughout the entire novel, and while I felt perfectly content after reading the final sentence, which was perfectly fitting and conclusive, I found myself wishing that it wasn't over. I haven't felt this way about a book in a while, due mainly to the fact that I haven't been reading much lately. I was impressed in Vonnegut's ability to make me think, to draw parallels (it's very strong literarily), and to make me laugh and ponder the seriousness of his subject matter, all while making me feel as if I wasn't reading a book at all, but living it...or better yet, observing someone else live it.



5. Monty Python...

is sheer genius. That is all.




6. Painted Turtles...

are probably sunning themselves...and mating...and laying eggs in Tunica. This is very important, as I will be home next week, and will be able to enjoy the quite miniature versions of the adults which will be scampering by the multitudes across the asphalt and into the deep ditches on either side of the road. We may have a rescue service. Many undoubtedly will be flattened.



7. The Question...



that I was just posed is, "don't you want to finish the last forty-five minutes of The Life Aquatic?" followed by some German. No. Not particularly. Thank goodness it's missing. This may become and issue later, when I actually do...very badly.


8. Track and Field...


began for my brother today. As today is sunny and warm, I would have liked very much to have been able to watch his events. However, I am grateful to not be burning to a crisp.

9. The Reservoir...


is beautiful at night. I love the yellowed orange lights reflected on the water at the spillway. Also, trips to see this are made better by loud bellowings of The Knack, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, and Marcy Playground.


10. Cups...


is not as good as Sneaky Beans. But they are calling my name...as this is where Lauren is headed. Here's to compromise.

1 comment:

  1. The litterati are, at their core nature, stalkers. Also, Mellow Mushroom is very, very, very good. As is Pizza Shack. But the atmosphere is not quite as spectacular in the latter. Except maybe on the most glorious of days.

    ReplyDelete