Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Flowers, Bending in Time

I realize that I haven't been posting really intellectually stimulating stuff lately. I could blame this on being distracted by other things...or procrastination...or feeling intellectually stifled when I am at home...or any number of things. But I won't. I'll just talk a little about various random things and hope that somehow, it might seem like I am a less terrible blogger than I, in all actuality, am...

1. Jeff Buckley.

Please introduce yourself to this man. An avant-garde musician in New York in the 90's, he was the son of Tim Buckley, who was himself, a notorious musician. Both Tim and Jeff died quite prematurely-- Tim from a drug overdose, and Jeff, a swimming accident which led to his drowning in Memphis. "In the space of just three years and one album, Jeff buckley attained the cult status his troubled father had taken eight years and as many records to achieve." In his obituary, it was written: "Second generation pop stars hardly ever live up to their illustrious parents. Jeff Buckley was the exception to that rule."(The Independent)

I won't call Jeff Buckley a "pop star". I will say, however, that if pop music resembled anything close to the beautifully haunting sounds of his own, that I might actually listen to the "Top 10".

I recommend: Turning out the lights, sitting on the floor alone, and turning up "So Real" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WolmjxD4hn4 and "Lover, You Should've Come Over"http://www.youtube.com/watch?hXe1jpHPnUs , just to start off with.

2. Mason Jars

Oh, the joy that variously sized fruit jars can bring. The things you can do with a mason jar are endless. Deemed, "the poor man's water glass", they are indeed perfect for filling with cool beverages. Once the brass lid is secured, you're good to go. For picnics, they make perfect glasses...if you wanna be fancy. They are one of the essentials of a good watercolorist's supply list. Once you're done, and that inevitable red is running down one side, you can rinse it out and put it on the window sill with the other four hundred you've collected--to catch the sun. Fill them later with pencils, marbles, thumb tacks, rubber bands, insects, buttons, wood shavings, or just about anything else.

3.Gravity's Rainbow

This Thomas Pynchon novel and I have a very serious love-hate relationship. One special summer day, I walked into Square Books in Oxford, Mississippi. I boldly approached the counter and asked one particuarly...bookwise...employee to help me choose a book. This very kind book salesman led me into the "P"'s and took from the shelf my very own special copy. I fell in love. I took it to the register and doled out a twenty. There was no need for a bag. I sat in the comfy red chair right beside the door and started devouring. Let me say, Pynchon is an exceptional challenge. I know that there are very differing opinions on his writing, but I really do think he's got something wonderful going on. Oh...back on track. As I said, I bought the book one summer day. And I read that summer day...and several afterwards. I read and reread the first few chapters...and got through about 1/4 of the book. And then something happened. School started. I put Mr. Pynchon down, and then, something else happened. Something really terrible. I forgot everything that I had read. Yes. I have to start over. I think I'll wait until this summer. And that will be my challenge. Get through Gravity's Rainbow before school begins again.

Also, on a completely different note, I have discovered that Zak Smith did the cover art for this novel...and that he did an entire series based on it. One illustration for each page of the novel. Impressive. One day, I'll dedicate an entire number to this man.

4. Justin Bieber

My sister's obsession with this teeny bopper is getting out of hand. It's really creepy to wake up to an entire wall plastered in two alternating faces. Bieber and Lautner give me nightmares. I will not be sleeping with Kait again anytime soon.

5. Guitar Center

The smell of Guitar Center mirrors that of one celestial body rumored in the Bible. The sounds...not so much. I particularly enjoy the acoustic room. I do not particularly enjoy the shifty glances from the pony-tailed teen across the room.

6. Meatloaf

A food, particularly one that a character in a previous post didn't ever want to eat again. Also, the famous musician. I include him because my father has passed his immense knowledge of classic rock on to all three of his children. This vast knowlegde overlaps with appreciation and even, dare I say, preference. Sitting here, as I think and type, my sister and I are listening to "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights". Yes. I admit it. I am the strangest.

Oh. I've been writing this for a long time and I find that each number is waning in seriousness. Therefore, I retire. I'll try and think of something more entertaining for next time.

P.S.--two quotes from none other than Mr. Buckley:

"Words are beautiful but restricted. They're very masculine with a compact frame. But voice is over the dark, the place where there's nothing to hang on: it comes from a part of yourself that simply knows, expresses itself, and is."

"All flowers in time bend toward the sun. I know you say there's no one for you, but here is one."

No comments:

Post a Comment