Sunday, December 13, 2009

On Prayer

I read a poem by Mary Oliver entitled, "The Real Prayers are not the Words but, the Attention that Comes First." The poem is nice, but for me, the title stands solidly enough on its own. I almost wish there wasn't a poem at all, just blank page at which to stare and contemplate the brilliant truth in quotations.

Right now, we are doing a series on "word becoming flesh" at church. Today, the sermon was in part about the power of the spoken word in prayer. Really, the power of prayer in general. This semester, I have learned so much through prayer and scripture, particularly concerning patience, trust, and understanding and desiring to do the will of God. God has taught me so much about so many different things. I find myself desiring relationships. A relationship with God, deeper relationships with established friends, new relationships with new friends, intimacy with family, and the desire to develop myself in Christ for a potential "relationship" relationship. I've learned to step out of my comfort zone, to shed the fears and insecurities that have long surrounded me and given me a reputation as an introvert. I have learned so much about being myself. So much of myself has been brought out by people in the past few weeks. That in itself is an answered prayer.
Pastor Nick has challenged the congregation to chose a particular prayer request and to spend this week in fervid prayer and submersion in scripture. I have just such a request that has been on my heart for several days now. As we have been challenged to do, I have put my trust in the LORD and am confident, that in his timing and according to His will, my prayers will be answered. I find comfort in the following verses which have been revealed to me in God's perfect timing of late:

Psalm 48:14 "For that is what God is like. He is our God forever and ever and He will be our guide until we die."

Psalm 16:7-8 "I will bless the LORD who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me. I know the LORD is always with me. I will not be shaken for he is right beside me."

Psalm 37:4 "Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you your heart's desires."

Psalm 37:7a "Be still in the presence of the LORD and wait patiently for Him to act."

Psalm 37:23-24 " The steps of the godly are directed by the LORD; He delights in every detail of their lives."

Psalm 40:8 "I take joy in doing your will, my God, for your law is written on my heart."

Psalm 131:1-2 " LORD, my heart is not proud; my eyes are not haughty. I don't concern myself with matters too great or awesome for me. But I have stilled and quieted myself, just as a small child is quiet with its mother. Yes, like a small child is my soul within me."

Proverbs 4:18 " The way of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, which shines ever brighter until the full light of day."

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it affects everything you do."

Isaiah 46:3 "Listen to me, all of you who are left. I created you and I have cared for you since before you were born. I will be your God throughout your lifetime--until your hair is white with age. I made you, and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you."

Isaiah 43:1-2 "Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name, you are mine. When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown!"

Song of Songs 2:7, 3:5 " Promise me, O women of Jerusalem, by the swift gazelles and the deer of the wild, not to awaken love until the time is right."

Philippians 1:9-11 "And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may ascern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ--to the glory and praise of God."

Hebrews 13:20-21 "And now, may the God of peace, who brought again from the dead our LORD Jesus equip you with all you need for doing his will. May he produce in you, through the power of Jesus Christ, all that is pleasing to Him."

There are oh-so-many-more divine scriptures that bring me peace and ignite my soul. Perhaps I shall share some more at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment