Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Take Me Back, Josephine




Anyone who knows me...(really knows me) has no doubt discovered that I have a series of systems. I don't mean that I'm obsessive-compulsive or anything. I am just a creature of habit. One of my habits is this: whenever I come home from college and think about it in enough time, I pop in Brandi Carlile and make the left onto Josephine while she drones her sad, dripping words. It becomes my own personal soundtrack for the moment. It was the perfect track for today.

Cold rain has been pelting at the house and I've done my best to try to stay in.

__________________________________________________________

On another note...I hate it when my mom calls me "young lady". She's been doing that a lot lately. I don't even think the fact that she's been nagging me about silly things bothers me as much as the fact that "young lady" should be a compliment and that those words only escape my mother's lips in condemning tones. I hope that when the inevitable happens and "I open my mouth and out falls my mother" I chose some other phrase.

"Take me back Josephine, to that cold and dark December. I am missing someone and I don't know who. Now I'm standing alone, and I'm trying to remember. Sometimes I wonder how I ever started loving you. Noontime wind, can you blow for me one more time and take me on back to the start, where the midnight moon shines so bright, nearly pulls us up to heaven, by the strings of our hearts? Morning sun, shine on me. Come light inside my window, and rest on my brow. Kiss my eyes while I sleep, and carry me back home, if my dreams will allow. Take me back Josephine, to that cold and dark December. I am missing someone but I don't know who. Now I'm standing alone and I'm dying to remember. Sometimes I wonder how I ever started loving you. Someone help me understand why I'm still loving you."


No comments:

Post a Comment