Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Happenings

The new year is coming on fast.
I stepped into the sharp chill this morning and little droplets of cold water were clinging to me as I walked. My face got wet.
I was thinking about family and summer plans. And, I was thinking about the approaching New Year and all of the stipulations that go along with ushering it in. I know that I'm supposed to make resolutions. I'm not sure if I am going to this year. Maybe I'll accomplish more by spontaneously deciding I'm going to do something. I don't have a hard time sticking to plans, but I don't particularly enjoy waking up and knowing exactly what I have to do for the day. I don't want my life planned out, hour for hour for me. I love living life. I think we are supposed to. In fact, I know we are.

Lying in bed early this morning (was I asleep?), I had a new concept for a series. I woke up and thought about it. I sorted through the concept, picking at potential developments and casting off bad ones. I was conscious, but I didn't feel like searching for a pen and paper, so I reached out and got my cell of the bedside table and text messaged the ideas to myself. I reread them when I got up this morning and was amazed at how coherent I was. It was all very stream-of-consciousness. Anyone else would have had a hard time decyphering, but it worked for me. I need new supplies to get started. Maybe I'll take a trip to Memphis.

I'm starting to get excited about the spring art exhibit.

Note to self: put a pen in top drawer of bedside table.

I don't want to stay here this summer. I want to live on an organic farm and make things. I want to write and work on art, and live. I want to live. And for the first time, I feel like living means spending those three months away from here. And for me, I think that's a big, exciting step. I want to go out and know something different. And then, I want to come back and appreciate this all the more.

No comments:

Post a Comment